The history of BMS Institutions dates back to the pre-Independence period. Late Sri B. M. Sreenivasaiah, a philanthropist and visionary, realised the importance of technical education in the country. He started BMS College of Engineering in the year 1946, which has the distinction of being the first private engineering college in the country. Sri B. M. Sreenivasaiah was conferred the title ‘DharmaPrakasha Raja KaryaPrasaktha’ by the Maharaja of Mysore for his yeoman service in the education sector. The inheritors of his legacy continue to cherish and uphold his vision and ideals.
After the demise of Sri B. M. Sreenivasaiah, his illustrious son Sri B. S. Narayan, a dynamic and enterprising personality, developed the BMS College of Engineering into one of the finest engineering colleges. In addition, he established other institutions of higher education such as the BMS College of Law, BMS College for Women and BMS Evening College of Engineering. He was instrumental in initiating International collaborative programs, including foreign students’ training under the International Co-operative Division,Cross Cultural Program with Melton Foundation and such. Today, BMS Educational Trust is managingten institutions of repute. The BMS School of Architecture (BMSSA) was established inthe year 2010, upholding the standards of education as set by the predecessors.
The affairs of BMS Institutions are managed by the Council of Trustees appointed by Dr.B.S.Ragini Narayan, successor of late Sri B.S.Narayan. She is also the Donor Trustee and Member Secretary of the BMS Educational Trust.